September 7, 2019
Live-in B&B Caretaker Position Available
Posted by: Misty
Heceta Lighthouse B&B is seeking a Caretaker to join our seasoned team of hospitality professionals for a year round live in position. This mature and responsible candidate must be on call nightly from 6pm-8am. Caretakers will live on site in the basement apartment of the beautiful Heceta Head Light Keeper’s House. This job entails being available for guests and visitors for any questions or concerns that may arise. Caretakers will be available when she or he is on the grounds, by phone within 20 minutes when off the grounds and throughout the evening. Caretakers will have nightly duties to secure the Keeper’s house and daily duties to help maintain the property. Compensation is rent for a 1 bedroom apartment valued at $1200/month, plus utilities including heat, electric, gas, water, garbage, and on-site laundry, along with 1 reserved parking space.
Roles and Responsibilities
1. Caretakers will stay nightly in the keeper’s house when guests are staying in the B&B. If Caretakers cannot be at the B&B to fulfill duties outlined in the job, Caretakers will find a replacement that has been approved and trained to do the job by the owners, and management notified ahead of time.
2. Caretakers will respond to the needs of guests when on site or off site. If off site, caretakers will be within 20 minutes and have cell phone on and ready for guests calls. If for some reason caretaker’s phone will not be available, caretaker will notify and make an agreement with another staff member to be on call and have a phone with a local number. If guests call and need attention the caretaker will go to the B & B immediately and assist the guests as needed.
3. Caretakers will check the premises before leaving, upon return, and around 10:30 p.m. nightly to secure house and fulfill evening clean up duties outlined separately.
4. Caretakers will check water system daily, record necessary details and immediately relay to management any water system needs or concerns.
5. Caretakers will watch for and write down in the daily communication log and in direct email to manager, matter which seem out of the ordinary or are in need of maintenance. This includes relaying messages to the manager from staff and guests who notice problems on the premises.
6. Caretakers will make an appearance at least once from between 6 pm and 10pm to check on guests and the B & B.
7. Caretakers will be knowledgeable about the B & B operations and Heceta Head Lightstation history and will share accurate information with guests and visitors.
8. Caretaker will maintain the gardens in a presentable appearance. Water the garden as needed during dry season. Weed and prune as necessary. Repair any damage to raised beds or containers.
9. Caretaker will pick up trash and debris from yard and driveway. Report any maintenance issues to management
- Must be able to pass criminal background check and drug screening
- Able to squat, bend, kneel, lift up to 40lbs, and navigate stairs.
- Have a team effort mentality, supporting other staff and contributing to the betterment of the Lightstation.
- Working knowledge of email, and general computer skills.
- Must possess or be able to obtain Oregon Food Handler’s Card, OLCC permit, Customer Service Gold Training, CPR, First Aid, and AED training.
- Willingness to learn and share the history of Heceta Head.
- Excellent written, verbal, and auditory communications skills with guests, staff, and management.
- Professional appearance and demeanor with exceptional customer service experience.
Heceta Lighthouse Bed and Breakfast is located halfway between Florence and Yachats on the Central Oregon Coast. We are a high end, 6 room boutique inn occupying the historic light keepers’ home at Heceta Head Lighthouse. This well reputed Unique Inn is known across the globe for its dramatic scenery, rich maritime history, and amazing 7 Course Breakfast. Not only do we offer lodging, we also serve as an Interpretive Center, gift shop, and a busy event venue. Guests are welcome as friends and staff is treated like family in a positive and respectful atmosphere. Listed on the National Register of Historic places and owned by the US Forest Service it is our mission to be good stewards of this property through restoring and publicly sharing this national gem.
If you are ready to join an exceptional team to do a job you love and represent a business you can be proud of, and you meet the above requirements, please submit a cover letter, resume, and verifiable references in the body of your email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Attachments will not be opened.
Heceta Head Keeper’s house is operated under a concessionaire permit by WR Trillium Inc in partnership with the U.S. Forest Service. Persons of any race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion or with any handicapping condition are welcome to enjoy all facilities, programs and services of the USDA. Discrimination in any form is strictly against any policy and should be reported to the Secretary of Agriculture, Washington DC, 20250, 1-800-245-6340.